It is my pleasure and an honour for me to be WIC's President in 2015. With my efficient Executive Board we are dedicated to making it another memorable year. For me it is an opportunity to thank the Club for many unique moments I could enjoy during my 11-year long membership.
I hope you like the covers of our bi-monthly Newsletters this year which have as their theme 'Women Depicted in Greek Art': from Persephone of the ancient times, the Madonna by El Greco, Katerina Botsaris of the 19th century and the stylised women in modern paintings by the famous Greek artists Mytaras and Gaitis.
All this year's Activities, General Meetings, trips and events can be viewed by clicking on the links.
The Activities in November will be the amazing 'Sea Turtle Rescue Centre' in Glyfada, the 'Dinner with Family and Friends' at the elegant Athens Lawn Tennis Club, and the interesting 'Meet My Country' Presentation by H.E. the Czech Ambassador Jan Brody. In December, as our last Activity we will visit the successful Greek 'Attiki Honey Company'.
WIC's Christmas General Meeting, held at the Hilton, will be a festive start of the holiday season and to celebrate together in the traditional WIC style with our own choir and many surprises. A special joy and honour for us will be the musical performance of our talented member Carole Biever-Hecker, wife of the Luxemburg Ambassador, playing the clarinet.
With my best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy 2016,
Welcome to the website of the 'Women's International Club Athens', abbreviated 'WIC' and founded in 1976 to foster mutual understanding and friendship among women from all over the world who live in Athens, Greece. WIC members are made up of 60 different nationalities who as such promote a constant cultural and interesting exchange through our social and educational meetings.
The Club holds monthly meetings where invited speakers present their expertise and knowledge in fields such as psychology, medicine, art and history etc. with a lively discussion after the presentation. The lunch that follows gives an opportunity to catch up with old friends and make new ones.
Our Circles are a great way to deepen friendships among our members and serve various interests like the 'Book and Film Discussion Circle', the 'Wine Tasting Circle', 'Cosmic Research'. 'French Poetry', 'Cooking Circles', the 'Play Reading Circle' and even a 'WIC Choir'. The 'Conversation Circles' include these languages: Spanish, French, Russian, Italian, Greek and English.
WIC Athens organises Meetings, Events and Activities on a variety of subjects. Embassies also invite the WIC Ladies for interesting Meet-my-Country presentations.
December 2015Visit to the 'Attiki Bee Culturing Company A. Pittas', the famous Greek honey makers since 1928.
- At the December General Meeting at the Athens Hilton the Choraleers delighted like every year with their beautiful songs and the festive Christmas atmosphere WIC members and their guests.
- A special honour at the Christmas Meeting was the lovely clarinet concert by Carole Biever-Hecker, wife of the Luxemburg Ambassador, and four young Greek musicians.
November 2015Visit to the Archelon Sea Turtle Rescue Centre in Glyfada
Invitation by the Czech Embassy for the 'Meet My Country Czech Republic' presentation by H.E. Ambassador Jan Brody.
The Ambassador surrounded by (from left to right) Angela Struecker, Olga Roupas, Mary Michalakeas, Leopoldine Theophanopoulos, Marcia Papoudos, Rania Kouloukakos and Anthea Gavoyannis.
October 2015Visit to the Ancient Agora with a guided tour
- 5-Day Trip to Berlin, Potsdam and Dresden
- October General Meeting with speaker Psychotherapist Marialena Spiropoulou
September 2015General Meeting in September at the Piraeus Yacht Club with a musical performance of soprano Antonella Orefice and pianist Mariangela Sorrenti
- Outing to the National Observatory in Pendeli with interesting explanations about the stars and planets
- Executive Board Members Liz Vrondissis, Anthea Gavoyannis, Marcia Papoudos, Mary Michalakeas and Leopoldine Theophanopoulos
June 2015Meet My Country Japan Presentation in June by H.E. the Japanese Ambassador Masuo Nishibayashi and his wife, our dear WIC member Kikuko Nishibayashi
- Fashion Show in the Piraeus Yacht Club
May 2015Meet My Country Indonesia at the Residence of the Indonesian Ambassador H.E. Benny Bahanadewa and his wife and his wife, our charming member Winnie
- Outing to the Royal Estate Tatoi with an interesting guided tour
Meet My Country Presentation in May at the Luxembourg Embassy by H.E. Ambassador Christian Biever and his wife, our talented member Carol biever-Hecker, who played clarinet beautifully at the event
From left to right: Charge d'Affaires of Lebanon Mirna Khawly, Carole Biever -Hecker and her husband Ambassador Christian Biever, President Leopoldine Theophanopoulos, Winnie Bahanadewa (wife of the Indonesian Ambassador), Ada Polemis
- Exhibition 'Ottoman Athens' at the Gennadius Library in May
- May General Meeting with speaker Archaeologist Professor Dimitris Plantzos.
April 2015'Meet My Country Lebanon' presentation by the Charge d'Affaires Mirna Khawly (left) in her beautiful residence, with Leopoldine Theophanopoulos and Activity Officers Marcia Papoudos and Mary Michalakeas.
- Healthy Lifestyle Coach Sofia Koutsiana (left), who was the speaker at the April General Meeting at the Golf Club, with Leopoldine Theophanopoulos and Programme Officer Rania Kouloukakos (centre).
March 2015Speaker Neurosurgeon Professor Vasilios Zerris at the General Meeting with Vice President Anthea Gavoyannis
- 'Meet My Country Pakistan' presentation at the Residence of the Embassy of Pakistan by H.E. Ambassador Dr. Mohmand Khan Saeed and his wife, our dear WIC member Faiza.
February 2015Meet My Country Brazil in the Residence of the Brazilian Embassy
H.E. Ambassador Edgar Antonio Casciano and his wife and WIC's Honorary President Maria Christina Sampaio and WIC's President Leopoldine Theophanopoulos
- General Meeting in February at the Semiramis Hotel: Speaker Psychologist Tenia Makri with Programme Officer Rania Kouloukakos (right) and President Leopoldine Theophanopoulos
- Guided Tour at the Christian and Byzantine Museum of the El Greco Exhibition
January 2015The Executive Board of 2015
For any inquiries please contact email@example.com
The Executive Board 2015
- Leopoldine Theophanopoulos, President, Germany
- Maria Christina Sampaio, Honorary President, Brazil, Wife of the Ambassador of Brazil
- Anthea Gavoyannis, Vice President, Australia
- Catherina Lambert, Treasurer, Belgium
- Liz Vrondissis, Recording Secretary, Ireland
- Olga Roupas, Membership Officer, Greece
- Mary Michalakeas, Activity Officer, USA
- Marcia Papoudos, Activity Officer, Brazil
- Lee Minaidis, Corresponding Officer, USA
- Rania Kouloukakos, Programme Officer, Greece
- Angela Struecker, Hospitality Officer, Greece and Germany
- Constance Tourret, Publication Officer, France